Yard Feeder® – The Professional Landscaper’s Best Friend!
The Yard Feeder® is the Landscaper’s best friend, a fertigation system that delivers fertilizers, insect repellents, critter control, or other products through your existing irrigation systems. This heavy duty system is designed to work in home and commercial applications of all sizes with minimal maintenance or intervention. Used in small residential yards as well as business complexes, sports fields, and golf courses, Yard Feeder® is a premium system capable of dispensing basically any non-petroleum based product directly to your plants.
The Yard Feeder® system eliminates hit and miss application because it taps directly into current irrigation systems which are already targeted, usually scheduled and on automatic timers. Therefore, the same system that ensures your plants receive the water they need, when they need it, ensures your plants receive the nutrients they need, where and when they need it.
Yard Feeder® is high quality and low maintenance. Easily installed, it only needs refilling with fertilizer 4-5 times per year depending on the size of the tank and the rate of application desired for the product being delivered. We highly recommend using products such as EnviroTree™, EnviroYard® and Ultimate Turf® in the Yard Feeder® Tank, but almost any fertilizer will work.
Standard Features of Yard Feeder® Fertigation System
Note – Because Yard Feeder taps into a current irrigation system, it requires backflow prevention. Professional installation is recommended.
Yard Feeder® Recommended Use
You may dispense any liquid product through Yard Feeder® because it dispenses what you want, when you want it, where you want it: mole and vole control, insect repellents, critter control, or most other products available for use in fertigation tanks, as long as they are not petroleum based.
A recurring question is “can we use a powdered fertilizer?” Yes, you can, though it must be water soluble and thoroughly mixed before adding to the Yard Feeder tank, with water added to “top it off” so all air is removed.
However, Yard Feeder works best with EnviroYard®, a no-salt, low pH product specifically designed to improve your soil and nourish your plants. Long term use of salt based products such as dry nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium fertilizers can gradually increase the water needed to sustain plants, whereas low salt or no salt products like EnviroYard can decrease your watering needs.
Since the Yard Feeder is tapped into the location’s current irrigation system it requires backflow prevention. We also recommend professional installation.
Yard Feeder® Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I install a YardFeeder®?
Q: Can I Use Other Fertilizers In My Yard Feeder® Tank?
A: Yes. You are free to use and dispense any non-petroleum based product: mole and vole control, insect repellants, critter control, or any products made for fertigation tanks.
Q: Can I Use Powder Fertilizer?
A: Yes you can, provided it is water-soluble and thoroughly mixed and dissolved before being poured into the tank.
Q: How Often Do I Need To Fill My Yard Feeder® Tank?
A: Most users will refill the tank 3-4 times a year, but this depends on the size of the Yard Feeder® tank, type of fertilizer, frequency of fertigation, and condition of plant material and rate of flow of your irrigation system.
Q: How Long Do I Need To Run My Timer To Dispense Fertilizer?
A: Approximately 3-5 minutes for turf, or approximately 8-10 minutes for Drip.
Servicing Your YardFeeder
- Shut off water to tank by closing backflow preventive device.
- Open a station valve to bleed off pressure by simply turning on any zone on your irrigation timer.
- Make sure pressure gauge on your tank reads zero.
* * * Failure to remove pressure from tank can cause cap to shoot off with possible physical harm.
- Remove tank from valve box and tip over to drain out water. If you do not have enough slack on your tubing unplug the hoses by simply holding in the round collect around the hose while pulling the hose.
- Fill with your favorite fertilizer such as EnviroYard® (make sure to get all air out of tank).
- Replace cap and lock.
- Turn on irrigation timer and turn on water.
- You are now ready for automatic fertigation.
Flow Rate Adjustment
- If you have a flow inducer no adjustment is needed.
- If you have a ball valve feed rate, start with valve fully open (handle parallel with pipe).
- Open the lowest volume valve (usually drip) and let it run for about 20 seconds.
- Now start closing the ball valve slowly until you see fertilizer flowing through the line. A slow flow is all you need.
- Once the slowest valve flows all other valves will flow adjusting fertilizer with water volume.
- The 2 valves on the tank can be used as a bypass if fertilization is not needed.